[Dirvish] Disk Drive follies/Deskstar

Brian Martin Brian at MartinConsulting.com
Mon Feb 28 13:02:50 PST 2005

A client of mine received a donated system with four IBM Deskstar's in about
2000.  All have had to be replaced.  Three of them failed at various times.
The fourth one tests out fine under my most aggressive tests, but doesn't
seem to play well with non-Deskstar disks.  I've given it back to my client
saying that as long as it is in a machine by itself, it should be fine.

I also spoke to my local hardware guy.  He said they sold about 1000
Deskstar's in about a year's time, and he believes they've probably had to
replace them all.