[Dirvish] LVM2 and dirvish

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Sat Feb 26 12:55:58 PST 2005

On Saturday 26 February 2005 15:30, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
<snip>
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 04:00:39PM -0500, Jason Boxman wrote:
> > I've been using LVM2 of late and liking it a lot.
>
> Tell us more!  I am interested in building automated whole-drive
> restore scripts, and LVM looks like an interesting alternative.
> What stock distros does it work with?  Can you set it up during
> install, or is this something done later?  Does it play nicely
> with ReiserFS?  Can a reasonably safe restore-via-rsync be done
> with it?  Don't restrict yourself to those questions, of course.

It's interesting you ask.  I just got through doing a restore[1] to a LVM2 box
I had setup.

[1]
http://edseek.com/archives/2005/02/08/recovering-lvm2-with-debian-installer-rc2/

It's my understanding FC3 lets you do an install on top of LVM by default.  I
know the latest Debian Installer does, since I just used it.  I don't know
about other distros.  Generally you set it up during install if you want your
root partition LVM'd.  If you do so, you're stuck using `lilo` since GRUB
doesn't understand LVM.  (Or you can make a small ext2 /boot like in the days
of old.)

It works fine with ReiserFS, and you can grow and shrink without any problems.
Just ensure if you're going to shrink a logical volume, you shrink your
filesystem first, or you'll lose data.

I'm in the process of writing a Dirivish backup guide.  Perhaps I'll mention
something about LVM, although it's pretty much outside the scope of my
discussion.  The important part is backing up /etc/lvm/{archive,backup} and
then using those to recreate the LVM setup before creating filesystems and
restoring with `rsync`.

--

Jason Boxman
Perl Programmer / *NIX Systems Administrator