[Dirvish] Disk drive follies

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Fri Feb 25 13:00:39 PST 2005

On Friday 25 February 2005 15:38, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> The big drives are getting cheaper.  Two local chain stores are
> selling big drives very cheap;  Staples has 200GB Maxtor drives for
> $60 after rebate (limit 10), and Compusa has 250GB drives for $100
> (limit 2).

Impressive.  A few years ago you had to wait a long time for deals like those.
I managed ~ $70 AR typically on 120GBs.

> This came at a good time for me;  I rotate 3 250GB hard drives for
> backups, and I just lost one of the 3 (a Maxtor I purchased in
> September).  It is still under warranty, so I Maxtor will replace it.

Entirely anecdotal given my small sample size, but my past two of three
Maxtors have failed on me.  The second was a replacement for the first.  I
kept them from running extraordinarily hot to no avail.  I have had four WDs
for about as long and none have failed yet.

<snip>
> For the restore, I used the method I described in the third dirvish
> article.  With one important exception.  I was unable to use the
> "sfdisk" trick to build the partitions.  The old drive used 16 heads,
> 63 sectors per track, while the new drive uses 255 heads, 63 sectors
> per track.  So the table generated by "sfdisk -d" was not directly
> usable as input to the new sfdisk.  I had to do an fdisk by hand.

I've been using LVM2 of late and liking it a lot.