[Dirvish] Disk drive follies

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Feb 25 12:38:39 PST 2005

The big drives are getting cheaper.  Two local chain stores are
selling big drives very cheap;  Staples has 200GB Maxtor drives for
$60 after rebate (limit 10), and Compusa has 250GB drives for $100
(limit 2).

This came at a good time for me;  I rotate 3 250GB hard drives for
backups, and I just lost one of the 3 (a Maxtor I purchased in
September).  It is still under warranty, so I Maxtor will replace it.

I am also filling up the 120GB main drive on my server, so last night
I rebuilt it on a 200GB drive.  Of course, I used the dirvish backup.
I was pleased to see that dirvish restored every file that was on the
backups.  And thanks to removing "core" from the excludes, all the
important files were on there.  I copied my saved-up ISO CD images
(not backed up) directly from the old drive.

For the restore, I used the method I described in the third dirvish
article.  With one important exception.  I was unable to use the
"sfdisk" trick to build the partitions.  The old drive used 16 heads,
63 sectors per track, while the new drive uses 255 heads, 63 sectors
per track.  So the table generated by "sfdisk -d" was not directly
usable as input to the new sfdisk.  I had to do an fdisk by hand.

Someday, I hope to write a cheezy little "partitioning" program to
produce partitions in advance of a restore, based on the df and
sfdisk output from the old drive.  Someday, someday.