[Dirvish] File Reorginization?

Nathan Hunsperger dirvish at hunsperger.com
Fri Feb 25 11:51:20 PST 2005

Steve,

I'm not totally clear on if you are hoping to get Dirvish/rsync to do
the re-hardlinking for you, or if you want to do this by hand.

If you were to do some spring cleaning and just organize your files
(though I usually associate spring cleaning with depositing my rats
nest into the garbage...), Dirvish itself would not be able to handle
hardlinking for you.  Instead, for every file that was moved, Dirvish
would place a new copy onto the backup.  Dirvish relies on JW's patch
to rsync which provides the hardlinking ability; This functionality,
however, only works on files with the same sub-path.

However, if you can afford the space required for a complete new backup,
you could effect this change yourself.  Once Dirvish completed (and
before the next backup), you could go into the repository, and manually
remove files and hardlink them to the previous backup as appropriate.
As you mentioned, a script that did this for you would keep you from
pulling out your hair.  As far as Dirvish is concerned, this mucking
with the backup won't affect anything, other than keep disk usage
down...Dirvish doesn't maintain any state with regards to file type.

That said, I haven't tried this, and am just relying on my understanding
of the Dirvish internals.  I would recommend you create a new vault to
test your script and procedures on before you do so to your main backup.

- Nathan