[Dirvish] RE: Dirvish Digest, Vol 4, Issue 13

Nathan Hunsperger dirvish at hunsperger.com
Fri Feb 18 16:39:57 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:11:16PM +0100, Eric Mountain wrote:
> On Thursday 17 Feb 2005 21:55, Wayne F spake thus:
> > On Thursday 17 February 2005 13:02, Wayne F wrote:
> >  >> dirvish home:default error (23) -- partial transfer
> [...]
> >  >> dirvish error: branch /backup/dirvish/localhost/home:default image
> >  >> 2005-0217-0843 failed
>
> Error 23, "partial transfer due to
> error" (http://samba.anu.edu.au/ftp/rsync/rsync.html) is an rsync error code.
> You should check the logs under the image directory to see if that helps you
> understand the cause of the rsync failure.  You might want to run with
> verbose options added to rsync to get more detail.

In my setup, I saw rsync error 23 on every backup.  This is caused (at
least for me) from files vanishing between the initial rsync scan, and
subsequent backup.  [I back up live file systems where 200+ users are
actively modifying / deleting files (and spamassassin is creating /
deleting locks)].  At some point in time, the rsync folks changed rsync
to issue error 24 on file vanishings, instead of error 23.  This is
nice, as you now have a much better way of determining if a real error
occurred.  Since I upgraded rsync, I have only received error 24 (on
every backup...)

So, w/o the error 23 patch that has been discussed on this list, you may
want to check your rsync version.  (It looks like this change was made
to rsync around 8/04, based on my backups).

- Nathan