[Dirvish] Failure to initialize vault

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Thu Feb 17 10:18:55 PST 2005

On Thursday 17 February 2005 13:02, Wayne F wrote:
> I get this error when trying to initialize a vault:
> (dirvish --init --vault home //this was the command I used to initialize.
> Not actually in the error.)

That should be the right command to init a vault.

> dirvish home:default error (23) -- partial transfer
> Warning: start=63 - this looks like a partition rather than
> the entire disk. Using fdisk on it is probably meaningless.
> [Use the --force option if you really want this]
> dirvish error: branch /backup/dirvish/localhost/home:default image
> 2005-0217-0843 failed

That's interesting.  That's not a message a regular binary `dirvish` interacts
with.  Are you using a pre script that calls `fdisk`?  It looks like that
script is failing somewhere.  Perhaps you could post the script?

> I can access /backup/dirvish/localhost/home/(directory)/tree and look at
> the files.

So did it successfully complete still, or?

> dirvish-runall says that no default for branch (or something similar) is
> found.  That makes sense because the vault never initialized.  When trying
> to initialize another vault set up exactly the same way I get no errors.
> The default.conf files are as follows
>
> client: localhost
> tree: /mnt/net/poasrv/home/
> xdev: true
> index: gzip
> image-default: %Y-%m%d-%H%M
>
> (The other is just like that save the line "tree: /mnt/net/poasrv/shared/")

Are you sure you aren't referencing a pre or post script in default.conf or
in /etc/dirvish/master.conf (or /etc/dirvish.conf)?