[Dirvish] Backing up millions of files...

Brian Johnson blj at thermoanalytics.com
Tue Feb 15 14:07:40 PST 2005

Hey everybody -

We have a need to backup 50000 directories that contain around 2 million files total.  Some small, some large.  The problem we have had with rsync in the past is that it uses up a tremendous amount of memory creating the file list in memory.  Does dirvish have a work around for this, or should I continue to look for another backup solution?  Does anybody have suggestions?  I've been creating a flat spot on my forehead smashing it against the proverbial desk for months now.  ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Brian Johnson
Systems Administrator
ThermoAnalytics, Inc.
Ph:  906-482-9560 x210