[Dirvish] help (with dirvish-runall)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Feb 14 10:47:28 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 01:07:51PM -0500, Wei Li wrote:
> My master.conf file is as below:
>
> seal:/etc/dirvish> more master.conf
> bank:
>       /backup/dirvish/seal
>                exclude:
>                        lost+found/
>                        core
>                        *~
>                        .nfs*
>                Runall:
>                        seal-e121    22:00
>                        seal-e122    23:00
>                        seal-e125    0:00
>                expire-default: never
>                expire-rule:
>                #       MIN HR    DOM MON       DOW  STRFTIME_FMT
>                        *   *     *   *         *    +3 months
>                        *   *     *   *         1    never
>                pre-server: /usr/local/sbin/dirvish-pre
>                post-server: /usr/local/sbin/dirvish-post

Problem solved!  Extra whitespace;  dirvish is (unfortunately) sensitive
to leading white space.  Your master.conf should look like:

bank:
       /backup/dirvish/seal
exclude:
	lost+found/
	*~
	.nfs*
# note from KHL - ditch the "core" in exclude, it causes problems
Runall:
	seal-e121    22:00
        seal-e122    23:00
	seal-e125    0:00
expire-default: never
expire-rule:
#	MIN HR    DOM MON       DOW  STRFTIME_FMT
	*   *     *   *         *    +3 months
	*   *     *   *         1    never
pre-server: /usr/local/sbin/dirvish-pre
post-server: /usr/local/sbin/dirvish-post

Dirvish thought you had a lot of funny named banks, because every line
starting with white space after "bank:" is treated as another bank entry.
The very simple configuration parser in dirvish treats any line with
leading white space as "I am another entry in a list, named for the nearest
un-indented line above".

Someday, we should improve the parser so it is a lot less sensitive to
white space.  In version 1.5 or so, if not sooner, I would like to at
least see a --verbose or --debug option so we can watch dirvish while
it makes these silly mis-interpretations.

I hope that helps.  Welcome to Dirvish!