[Dirvish] help (with dirvish-runall)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Feb 14 09:41:39 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:44:13AM -0500, Wei Li wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I have been following the article in System Admin and with dirvish
> --init --vault $VAULT, created the initial images.
> After that, when I tried to run dirvish-runall, it gave me a
> [root at seal sbin]# ./dirvish-runall
> 10:40:05 done
> but with nothing new created.
> I have to re-run dirvish --init --vault command to recreate the image.
>
> I am using solaris 2.9.

Without more information, it is hard to guess what is happening,
but my guess is that you don't have your banks or vaults listed
in master.conf .

Try decomposing the problem a bit.  After you create the vaults with

  dirvish --init --vault $VAULT

you should try running dirvish again, on a single vault:

  dirvish --vault $VAULT

That will use master.conf, but it will ignore the Runall: field .
To see what it did, look for another image in the vault, and look
in the image for "log" and "summary".

After you prove you can do single vaults, make sure that all the
vaults you want dirvish-runall to touch are listed in the "Runall:"
section of master.conf, like so:

Runall:
   vault1 03:00
   vault2 03:00
   vault3 03:00

Note that runall will label the images with the hour listed in the
second column;  if you are experimenting and running dirvish-runall
more than once per day you might want to leave the optional times off
so dirvish doesn't try to write two images with the same time on them.

Obviously, something got missed in the setup, and eventually you will
find it.  That probably points to a documentation hole or bad explanation,
so please share with us what you learn, and what mistaken impressions
that your solution corrects.