[Dirvish] dirvish & ssh rsyncd server

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Feb 10 19:00:41 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 05:59:45PM -0800, Chris Finley wrote:

> Does anyone have a Linux initiated backup of Windows XP working?!? Over SSH?

Chris - welcome aboard!

Many people have had problems with XP/rsync/ssh .  If you don't get
any answers here, you might ask over on the rsync mailing list.

Since dirvish is a "pull" client, we are counting on the other end
to work.  Most of our efforts here are making sure the pull (and
later the restore "push") do the right thing.

I would like to see solutions for problems with windows platforms
(there are some good potential consulting contracts out there) but
dirvish assumes good ssh and rsync are available.  The problems
are at the windows end, and many of us do not even have windows
platforms around, much less the ability to program them.

However, some folks here do windows programming, and there are more
over on the rsync list.  It might be an idea to band together with
other windows users and programmers to solve the rsync/windows problem,
so that lots of tools, not just dirvish, will work.

I wish I had a better solution right now.  But I expect it will come
with time.