[Dirvish] Multiple filesystems

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Feb 2 14:25:25 PST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 04:52:24PM -0500, Zachary Fortna wrote:
> We have numerous linux clients which have multiple filesystems (/, /var,
> /usr, etc).  How can I back up all the filesystems with 1 rsync operation?
> Or is that not possible.  I don't want to have multiple directories for each
> of the filesystems.

While the multiple file systems can be useful (it makes mixed restores,
essential for some security problems, much easier), you probably have
good reasons for a single tree.  You can tell dirvish to start at root
and allow it to cross file system boundaries, with a dirvish/default.conf
that looks something like this:

/backup/dirvish/mymachine/dirvish/default.conf
client: mymachine
tree: /
xdev: false
index: gzip
image-default: %Y-%m%d-%H%M
exclude:
        /proc

"xdev: false" will do what you want.  Be sure to exclude /proc or
nasty things may happen.  Also, be sure to mkdir /proc when you do
a bare-metal restore.

Note:  I have not tested this - just going by the man pages.  Please
let us know how this works for you!

Hope that helps.  Happy dirvishing!