[Dirvish] backup + nagios

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Sun Aug 21 13:41:20 PDT 2005

On Sunday 21 August 2005 16:11, Mateusz Pospieszny wrote:
> Hello
> I've been using dirvish for a while now, at least a year by now,
> possibly longer.
>
> I have a few machines being backed up on a remote network. I wasn't
> paying attention to the daily backups after initial testing and one day
> the backup drive failed and dirvish started hanging on the backup job
> without ever completing it (couldn't even kill it). This went for a week
> without any job completing. After replacing the drive and rebuilding the
> backup partition as a software RAID 1, I've wrote the attached 2 scripts
> to get nagios http://www.nagios.org/ to monitor the completion of the
> daily backups.

Excellent idea.  I have had the same thing happen to me once.  Fortunately I
discovered why I had no backups before I needed them and started the process
again.

<snip>
> P.S. I have about 52GB of combined data in dirvish, keeping the last 2
> weeks worth of daily backups, then keeping one backup per month after
> that. This is from 4 servers, two of them storing a large amount of
> small files (Maildir format Inboxes) This seems to generate a lot or
> usage on the backup drives. I've already got two 200GB IDE drives die on
> me. Thankfully my backup partition is on a mirrored software raid now.

Yeah, I lost a Maxtor 120GB myself and then its RMA'd replacement.  None of my
WDs or Seagates have failed, though.

--

Jason Boxman
Perl Programmer / *NIX Systems Administrator