[Dirvish] Restore to Windows

Steve Ramage dirvishusersspammedme at sjrx.net
Mon Dec 27 09:51:08 PST 2004

I seem to recall wanting to reply to this message but I can't remember
if I did or not.

There is a huge difference between ghost and dirvish, in terms of how
they work ,although they both work over network.

Ghost takes binary images of partitions and transfers that, while
dirvish just copies files efficiently (I might not be doing dirvish
justice, but that aside). Ghost also last time I checked required you to
shutdown your computer and boot off a special floppy drive, that has
drivers to initialize your network card.

I just had to send my laptop away (it runs windows for a few reasons) to
compaq, before I did I ran dd if=/dev/hdb of=/backups/compaqhdd.bin. It
just got back and I reversed the processes. This is basically what ghost
does.

Dirvish will have a hard time operating on windows and restoring the
operating system because most of the stuff is stored in the registry and
files that most programs can't get access to directly, like the SAM and
Registry files.

That all aside, Dirvish works great with Windows to backup documents and
what not. I use it to backup my "My Documents" folder, every day. It is
so nice cause I just open up a network drive, in my case
\\fermat\backups click on the folder mydocs and it lists all the dates
in a nice folder view of all the dates.

My only complaint is that the only way I can get rsync to run on windows
is to run a cygwin shell and run it manually. I can't run the exe in a
command prompt or script the shell executable, so everytime I reboot I
have to run it or else it doesn't work, shoot that reminds me...

Steve R