[Dirvish] Where do YOU install dirvish?

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Wed Dec 22 11:29:53 PST 2004

On Wed 22 Dec 2004, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> On my Fedora Core 1 machine, and my Knoppix/Debian test machine,
> dirvish is installed:
>
> Perl:                  /usr/bin/perl
> Dirvish executables:   /usr/local/sbin   (different!)
> Dirvish manpages:      /usr/share/man
> Dirvish config files:  /etc/dirvish

Is that dirvish as built by yourself, or as a package?
The Debian package should the executables in different places, as
remarked by Jason.

> Perl:                  /usr/bin/perl
> Dirvish executables:   /usr/local/sbin
> Dirvish manpages:      /usr/local/man
> Dirvish config files:  /etc/dirvish

This should be reasonable for user installs, although I think the
config files should then also go under /usr/local.

> Where do you put dirvish, and why?  And where would you put the .pl
> library (currently called loadconfig)  that is common to the four
> executables?  I would especially like to hear from SUSE and other
> distro users, as well as BSD and Sun users.

The loadconfig.pl file is integrated into the different "executables"
during the build, so at runtime you wouldn't need to have it installed.
Note that I haven't had time to look at the 1.3 version yet...
If it needs to be installed separately, Debian policy dictates that it
should go either in /usr/lib/perl5 or /usr/share/perl5. See
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ for a pretty
comprehensive guide on packaging perl stuff under Debian.

Paul Slootman