[Dirvish] Installing dependencies (was: restructuring ... )

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Dec 22 06:22:11 PST 2004

On Friday 17 Dec 2004 15:16, Keith Lofstrom spake thus:

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 01:33:40AM +0100, Eric Mountain wrote:
> I'm not sure packagers would really like it if installing dirvish caused them
> to download and install other Perl modules.  These are not build
> dependencies, but runtime dependencies.  You can build the package even if
> you don't have these modules installed.  Suppose however that you're
> installing dirvish using the CPAN module (imagine we've built a Perl package
> which the CPAN module can install), then the CPAN module will download and
> install dependencies for you.  In short, I'd say it's not dirvish's job to
> install it's dependencies.

Good observation.

If there is an existing installation mechanism that handles dependencies,
then we do not need to install dependencies with dirvish-specific code.
But the dependencies need to be indicated to the installer (CPAN, apt,
yum) or the human distro packager so they can resolve the .deb or .rpm
issues.  What is this information, and how is it passed?  How do we
produce and maintain that information?

It *is* our job to see that the end user of dirvish gets a functional
installation of dirvish with the least effort - the combined effort of
users, packagers, and coders.