Fwd: Re: [Dirvish] restructuring the dirvish install process

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Tue Dec 21 16:33:40 PST 2004

Sent to Keith instead of the list - sorry.

Subject: Re: [Dirvish] restructuring the dirvish install process
Date: Wednesday 22 Dec 2004 01:27
From: Eric Mountain <em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net>
To: keithl at keithl.com

On Friday 17 Dec 2004 15:16, Keith Lofstrom spake thus:
> into a library or module.  Since dirvish uses Time::Parsedate and
> Time::Period, which are not unsually included in the basic Perl
> distribution, the install process should pull those from CPAN if
> needed.  The versions of perl and rsync and ssh used should be noted

I'm not sure packagers would really like it if installing dirvish caused them
to download and install other Perl modules.  These are not build
dependencies, but runtime dependencies.  You can build the package even if
you don't have these modules installed.  Suppose however that you're
installing dirvish using the CPAN module (imagine we've built a Perl package
which the CPAN module can install), then the CPAN module will download and
install dependencies for you.  In short, I'd say it's not dirvish's job to
install it's dependencies.

> Most perl packages have a makefile.pl that takes care of these things.
> Most perl packages also test themselves during an install.  We should
> be making man pages,  but it is more standard to make pod and info files
> for perl and gnu packages respectively.  How do you folks want your
> documentation served?

I "vote" for POD files.  They can be used to automatically generate man pages
(which I am strongly in favour of), but also other formats (e.g. HTML).
Maybe the same can be done from man pages, I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Eric Mountain