[Dirvish] restructuring the dirvish install process

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Dec 17 08:47:28 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 04:38:00PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:

> The phrase "must still ask" implies to me interactivity. Distribution
> builders won't want that... I now echo a string to the configure script
> that gives the right responses, but that's pretty sucky to maintain.
> Being able to pass "answers" via options or environment variables is
> pretty much a "must" IMHO.

Good idea.  If I understand you, the install software should look for
--[options] that set the install locations for the software if it is
not the default.  Will the default be different for different distributions?
If so, what file should contain the defaults?

Paul writes:
> Mostly a minimum version number is required, which could be determined
> by e.g. rsync --version.  Make this testing overridable though, as when
> building a package for a distribution it would be silly to require e.g.
> rsync to be installed.

Should the default be "test" or "no test", and where should the default
be, and how should the command line override it?

Paul writes:
> Debian requires manpages to be available. That's my preferred format as
> well :-)

I like man pages too.  If nobody else wants info or pod, there is no
reason to bother.  Any suggestions on the process of maintaining them?

I do want to put visible dates and version numbers on the pages;  if
the code has been changed or updated without a corresponding man page
change, I want that obvious to the user.  In general, all files should
be dated, and the last person that touched them should be noted.  I do
not want to accept changes that cannot be traced.

Paul, I will be counting (a LOT!) on your experienced input.  Thank you
for your contributions.  A general question for you - what is an example
of a well structured small Perl package, similar to dirvish, that
installs nicely with Debian (and SUSE and Fedora as well)?