[Dirvish] Re: Restore to Windows

Doug Hanks dhanks at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 13:58:22 PST 2004

Dirvish needs to concentrate on the UNIX side of things.  If it
happens to work on Windows, then that's great.  If someone else wants
to submit patches to Dirvish that allows it to restore and backup from
other platforms, that's great as well.

I've developed quite a number of projects and been involved in a lot
more.  One of the things always happens is the argument of trying to
create a cross-platform code basic that's inclusive of Windows.  The
answer 99% of the time is to forget Windows because it only solves a
fraction of the problem.

J.W. and myself firmly believe that if 90% of people use Dirvish in a
UNIX environment, which was where it was designed to begin with,
that's where we should spend 100% of our development time.  There will
always be other people that want it to work on Windows or Mac, and if
they want it bad enough they can submit a patch.  But as far as the
core development team we need to keep focused on UNIX.

--
- Doug Hanks = dhanks(at)gmail(dot)com