[Dirvish] Article on Dirvish in Sys Admin magazine

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Tue Dec 14 14:21:30 PST 2004

On Tuesday 14 December 2004 15:09, Steve Ramage wrote:
> I can't speak for Macs but afaik there is no way to do a full drive
> restore using Dirvish / Rsync. Reason being is that newer versions of
> windows have virtual file's that don't exist themselves but are stored
> elsewhere in places you don't see. Futhermore I can't see of a way to
> 'copy' the files back to an NTFS medium.
>
> You could probably do this with Windows 95/NT (on FAT16), possibly
> Windows 98 & ME, but I don't think you could do it in 2000, or XP or
> above, imho.

You should be able to do full restores, with the potential caveat of the
bootstrap stuff, for 95/98/ME on FAT16/32.  Of course, you'll probably need
to boot with something to accomplish that, like a Knoppix CD.

NT/2K/XP/2K3 are a lot more challenging.  You can read the files, either over
CIFS or by installing OpenSSH and `rsync`, but restoring is a different
beast.  Although no longer maintained, Captive NTFS[1] allows you to read and
write to an NTFS filesystem using Wine.  You'd need a Linux boot CD, though.

[1] http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

I believe the NTFS filesystem need already exist, though.  What's more the
Windows registry ties into the original NTFS filesystem, so I don't think any
other will do.

I believe the conventional wisdom is, when possible, to have Windows store
files on a remote file server running Linux or Novell, so there's nothing of
value on the Windows box.  Then, if there's an issue, you simply reimage the
machine and move on.  You could probably reimage the box, then boot with a
Knoppix CD and use Captive NTFS to restore appropriate user files, though.