[Dirvish] TODO for Dirvish

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Dec 7 16:05:18 PST 2004

On Tuesday 07 Dec 2004 22:56, Doug Hanks spake thus:

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:08:22PM +0100, Eric Mountain wrote:
> This would also make package maintainers' lives' easier...
>
> Note that part of the current "magic" involves appending the loadconfig
> functionality into each of the dirvish scripts.  The nice thing to do would
> be to move all the logic into modules, and reduce the dirvish scripts to
> simple "frontends" (in fact there could be just one real frontend script, the
> others could be symlinks to it (to maintain backward compatibility)).  We'd
> avoid a fair amount of duplication (e.g. loadconfig) and it would make unit
> testing easier.

Keith adds:
I like the thinking so far.  How extensible would this be?  Dirvish
involves a fair amount of configuration, and eventually (NOT ON THE
FIRST NEW VERSION!!!) this should be compatable with the generation
of configuration files and documentation.  The last is the most attractive
to me;  one thing a ./configure script and a makefile should be able to
do is generate some site-specific documentation, if nothing more than
a 30 line file with software version numbers and file locations and
the like.  Again, these sorts of extensions are for later, but the
should be considered when choosing an install process.

The ./configure script should check for the necessary perl modules, and
for incompatable perl and ssh and rsync versions.   A second generation
script would check the ssh connections to the target machines.  A third
generation script would help design the structure of backups and storage,
and perhaps import existing backups onto the backup disks.  While those
later generations are hypothetical, and yet to be designed, I don't want
to exclude them by the design choices we make now.  Treat that as a design
constraint.