[Dirvish] TODO for Dirvish

Doug Hanks dhanks at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 13:56:52 PST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:42:56 -0800, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> I am curious about what these tools do for us specifically, for dirvish.
> They seem to be for compiling source files (like C) into executables and
> libraries.  Dirvish is a collection of perl scripts, and has an
> "install.sh" but no objects to make with a makefile.  The ".pl" files
> are concatenated into the executables by install.sh .

Perl is a 3rd party add-on and there isn't a standard for the location
of the perl binary.  Sometimes it's /usr/bin/perl or sometimes it's
/usr/local/bin/perl.  Using Autolib will go out and find perl, and
also allow the installer to specify a specific version of perl to use,
and it will incorporate that path into the scripts.  Other things is
that the tools allow for a better managed software cycle as far as
version control and such.  For example we just edit configure.in and
type "make dist" and it will make a tarball for production release
with all the proper naming conventions.  Most importantly people know
how to use "./configure" and "make install"  It's just a natural
thing.  I disagree with custom install scripts when there is a more
standard method.

> So, how would this work with Automake and Libtool instead?    Could you
> describe the process users would go through, or how the .pl files might
> be refactored?

Delete the custom install scripts.  The admins would use "./configure"
"make" and then "make install"  We'll convert the old .pl scripts or
whatever into the libtool magic.

--
- Doug Hanks = dhanks(at)gmail(dot)com