[Dirvish] TODO for Dirvish

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Dec 7 09:42:56 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 10:54:09PM -0800, Doug Hanks wrote:

Good hearing from you, Doug!

Doug writes:
> 1) Change the Author of Dirvish to J.W. on
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/dirvish/ until the project has
> progressed whereas less than 50% of the original code makes up the
> entire sum.

Since freshmeat seems to confuse author=developer=maintainer, the author
field is designed to direct email correspondence to the maintainer in a
non-confusing way.  JW will always be author of dirvish, regardless of
percentage of code.   So, I put a sentence "JW Schultz is the original
author of dirvish" in the "about" section.  This is all we can do given
the fixed format fields.

Here is what I have from the Freshmeat admin:

Doug writes:
> 2) Configure Automake and Libtool (I can do this)
>
> 3) Create a new platform independent release with the use of libtool.
> I can double-check the code on the following platforms: Solaris, AIX,
> HPUX, Linux and HPUX.

I am curious about what these tools do for us specifically, for dirvish.
They seem to be for compiling source files (like C) into executables and
libraries.  Dirvish is a collection of perl scripts, and has an
"install.sh" but no objects to make with a makefile.  The ".pl" files
are concatenated into the executables by install.sh .

So, how would this work with Automake and Libtool instead?    Could you
describe the process users would go through, or how the .pl files might
be refactored?

Note, one of the things I am contemplating is bolting on the user level
single-file restore script from backuppc, so more structure in the
install and maintenance would be useful.  How do we support such
enhancements with Automake and Libtool?

Doug writes:
> 4) Announce this release on FM and SF.  I already have a full-blown
> development account created on SF if needs be.  I'm the inventor and
> maintainer of sudosh http://sourceforge.net/projects/sudosh/

I will take a look!